Thursday, May 14, 2009

Single Parent This Week

Matt left Tuesday morning for DC. He signed up for a class at the beginning of the spring semester where you get credit for doing an assignment and going on this trip. Way cool huh...wish I could have gone. He won't be back until Monday night, so lets see, I'm only on day 3 and I already have to blog about my problems...

First issue.....NURSERY!!! When is it ever safe for your kids to be in there? Every week we take Lizzy to nursery and she loves it, goes right in. BUT, Tuesday comes along and I see runny noses, fevers and coughing, all that yucky stuff. It's not even winter season anymore! Come on parents, leave you kids at home if they have any sign of a runny nose. Lizzy and Isabelle have been miserable the last 2 1/2 days droopy eyes, constant runny noses and Isabelle had a fever of 101 for half the day. Nothing would bring it down. I don't know how people can handle there sick kids. It's 10 x worst when they are. They're cranky, following you around and crying at everything. So, I think we are going to pass on the nursery part this Sunday.

I have awesome neighbors!!! Definitely a huge difference compared to Texas neighbors. No one said hi at our old apartments, maybe we had cooties. We love it here, everyone has kids and going to school. I have had tons of help already to get through parts of the day. And I'm sure it wouldn't be half as bad if the girls were actually feeling well. I can't put Bell's down for a second without her crying.

When do I take a shower? Probably right now right! I actually did today already, I set the girls in front of the t.v and took the fastest shower of my life. I can take it when they are napping but I feel like I either have to nap too or finishing cleaning something while they aren't messing it up again. The girls are usually up by 6:30 in the morning, no way I'm waking up an hour earlier to take a shower.

So that's all...I always have pics on when I post. It doesn't feel like a good enough post without pics. Thanks for enduring my venting. You get to be in Matts position this week, just listen and nod and maybe some of you can relate in small ways.

I think tomorrow will be a much better day, back to normal with the girls getting better. We can't wait to have you home Matt, just having another human adult here keeps me sane.

12 comments:

~*Jess*~ said...

It's so awful when you're the 'single mom' and even worse when you're doing that duty with sick kids! AHH! I am SO sorry that other parents are lame and let their kids spread 'germs' that made your girls miserable. I hope this weekend will fly by for you and your sanity!

Whitney Baldwin said...

Oh Mel!!! I feel for you girl-- sick kids are no fun. You definitely deserve to vent! You are such a trooper and your girls are so lucky to have a mom like you. I'm only a phone call away if you need anything!

Melanie said...

Thanks guys! Its good to hear I'm not alone in feeling this way.

Jamie said...

Melanie- Emy has been the same way this week. I took her to the doctor last Friday because she was acting like she was getting sick and would not let me put her down. Plus, she felt like she was 110 degrees. She was so hot to the touch. All they could find was a slight ear infection coming on. Now she has a cough and a yucky nose! It kind of sounds like the same thing. I hope they feel better soon. Send 'em over if you need a nap!!

Melanie said...

aww thanks. Yes she was very warm, and it wouldn't go away with motrin or tylenol. They probably got it from nursery together.

Crystal said...

I have the same Nursery gripe... come on parents, I know you want someone else to watch your kids but ahhhh! I feel your pain. And it always happens when you are alone. Hang in there!

JA and co. said...

Addie's not sick, but even though he's busy with the YM Jason takes her every week during the 2 hours that I'm in Primary/nursery just because there are so many snotty nosed, coughing kids crammed into one room together. I hope your days get a little easier until Matt gets home!

Susi said...

Mel, I don't understand the nursery gripe yet. I'm sure I'll get there though! I understand your honey being gone though! Mine just left yesterday and won't be back for two weeks! So sad. Call me if you need anything!

tearese said...

sorry you're having a hard week! Its always harder when kids that young get sick; once they're older its not so bad.
I think kids will get sick from carriers like parents and siblings just as easily as from kids in social gatherings.
Sorry, I don't agree that parents should leave their kids home just because of a cold and runny nose, and I was a nursery worker in two different wards.
When parents feel like they have to leave their kids home for something that small, half the time the whole family goes inactive permanently, because colds can last for months in kids that small.
But if they have a fever or are throwing up...then yeah, stay home by all means!

Melanie said...

Tearese- That's true, I definitely wouldn't want families to go inactive but if the child can be properly rested and taken care of then the next week at church would be even better. Not to mention the fact that a lot of the families have even younger siblings that can pick it up and may be a bit more serious to their immune system. Johnathan, living under us, was in nursery that sunday as well and had the same symptoms as Lizzy. Their younger son Timmy is actually in the hospital at the moment because he caught what Johnathan had. It could be RSV for younger kids than toddlers. Ok so maybe the solution is....green snotty runny noses stay home, and...the clear snotty runny noses can go!

tearese said...

oh, I didn't know about Timmy, thats so sad! My kids don't seem to have caught anything, Josh has a clear runny nose because he has allergies but that is it. I hope everyone's kids get better!

Emily said...

Single parenting is the worst! And irresponsible parents who let their sick kids go to nursery are the WORST!